Miscellany and detritus, from the writer of Is This Mutton?com

Search this blog

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spot the Difference

We're determined to improve the back garden this year, now that we look out on it from the new conservatory. A number of improvements has been made already. Compare the before with the current "after" :

Before: April 2011. The border was cleared of Leylandii trees

After: March 2012. New fence; border dug and 2 fruit trees planted; edging replaced with sleepers. Patio extended. Garage repainted. Grass replaced with artificial lawn


On the right hand side of the garden we have also had a new fence put up and it has given us quite a lot more border to play with. John did the back breaking digging this weekend. Normally I put pots here but I'm going to get rid of a lot of them and in future plant the bulbs in the borders instead. In the summer I will plant annuals in the right border.

We're very pleased with the artificial grass, laid by Steve at Highfield Landscapes. It's come on a long way since "Astro Turf." You look at samples as if you're buying a carpet. The one we chose is called "Stately Manor." It will last for at least 10 years, and will still look green and lush after a few months of the hosepipe ban. My argument is that I am offsetting the ecological downside of artificial grass with a planting scheme aimed at encouraging butterflies and bees. I've ordered my plants and I'm now eagerly waiting their arrival. The garden is north facing so I have to be realistic about what's achievable. I'm getting some ferns, hostas and ornamental grasses and will grow some of my favourites, penstemons, campanulas, dahlias, Japanese anemones and plenty of cosmos and nicotiana. More photos to follow in a few months! 
March 2012: the "new" border 
SHARE:

3 comments

TrevorW�� said...

A job well done.....it all looks very nice. I was fascinated by the artificial lawn...looks like just what I need for my place in Cyprus.

Maggie May said...

Thats very lovely and is quite uncluttered, unlike my garden.
Happy Easter.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Perfectly Green said...

Your lawn looks fabulous, it is amazing how good artificial grass is, a lot of people can be quite sceptical of how it will be compared to real grass but you can really see the difference from your pictures.

Blog Design Created by pipdig